Highest Paying Jobs in Australia in 2020
Money shouldn’t be the first motivator when choosing a job, but it’s one of the most critical. In this article, we’ll tell you about 20+ high-paying jobs in Australia.
Money shouldn’t be the first motivator when choosing a job, but it’s one of the most critical. In this article, we’ll tell you about 20+ high-paying jobs in Australia.
Salary is among the most important criteria for choosing a job, along with working conditions, corporate culture, development opportunities, and solving challenging tasks.
Australia offers a significant number of well-paid positions across different industries, and Business Today ranks it fourth in the list of the countries with the highest average income.
Is It Hard to Find a Job on Australia
It’s always hard to find a job if it’s your first one, and Australia is no exception. However, getting a job in Australia now is difficult even for non-beginners due to increased competition and changes to the labor market provoked by Covid-19.
Australian Bureau of Statistics reported that the number of vacancies in the country decreased by 43% in May of this year. The head of Labor Statistics, Bjorn Jarvis, concluded that it was the most massive quarterly fall over the past forty years.
Also, a significant number of people lost their jobs due to the pandemic:
Moreover, the country’s unemployment rate reached 7.5% in July 2020, which is the highest jobless rate in Australia since November 1998.
The rising rate of unemployment, employment slowdown, and high competition are real challenges for Australian job-seekers. However, it’s not a reason to give up trying to get a well-paid job. You just need to mobilize your energy and find your way to stand out and catch the recruiter’s attention.
Detailed List of the Highest-Paid Jobs in Australia
The Australian labor market offers many enjoyable careers across various industries that come with six-figure salaries. Among them, medicine, finance, IT, education, etc. We’ve analyzed top sectors and created a list of much-in-demand and most paid jobs in Australia.
Have you ever asked yourself, “What is the highest paid job in Australia?” The profession of anaesthetist wins this competition with an average annual salary of AUD194,200.
An anaesthetist is responsible for providing anaesthesia to patients for operations and procedures. Their task is to ensure the well-being and safety of the patient during the surgery.
To become an anaesthetist in Australia, you need to become a doctor first. Your path to pursuing this career will include several steps:
- completing a medical degree. You can go into a five or six-year medical degree after finishing high school or get an undergraduate bachelor’s degree before applying;
- undertaking an internship at an accredited hospital for one year;
- practicing as a resident doctor to work in a more specific medicine branch, including anaesthesia;
- joining an Anaesthetic Training Program conducted by the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists.
- Tax Director
A tax director creates, plans, and implements a tax strategy for business. Main duties include preparing tax reports, ensuring the completeness, systematization, and accuracy of tax documents.
Tax directors should have:
- excellent writing skills;
- interpersonal communication skills;
- comprehension of mathematics.
To work as a tax director, you need to have at least a bachelor’s degree in tax accounting. More often, employers select candidates with a master’s degree. Professional experience in tax accounting is also needed.
You can start as a Certified Public Accountant and work your way up to a higher position. In this case, you will get paid an average annual salary of AUD186,400.
- Managing DirectorManaging directors are top executives responsible for directing the company’s operations and providing strategic advice to its board.
There are different ways to become a managing director, but in most cases, you will need to:
- complete a bachelor’s degree;
- consider gaining a Master of Business Administration;
- undertake professional training at the Australian Institute of Company Directors;
- gain relevant work experience and develop business, leadership, and decision-making skills.
An entry-level managing director in Australia earns, on average, AUD120,000, including tips, bonuses, and overtime pay, but with time this amount can reach AUD162,000.
- Chief Financial Officer
While the chief financial officer’s duties vary in different companies, their main task is to manage finances, including profit and loss reporting, budget allocation, financial forecasting, and financial risk management.
To become a CFO, you need to:
- get a bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, finance, or economics;
- complete a Certified Public Accountant examination or a Master of Business Administration;
- gain experience in leading positions in the financial field (depending on the company’s size, you will need about seven years of experience).
The position of CFO is one of the highest-paid financial jobs in the world. In Australia, the average annual salary for these workers is about AUD155,500.
Surgeons operate on patients using different equipment, instruments, and techniques to repair injuries, treat diseases, correct deformities. To work as a surgeon in Australia, you need to be fully qualified, meaning you have to:
- get a medical degree, which will take you from 4 to 6 years;
- take one year of the internship and then at least one year of residency;
- complete five+ years of vocational training.
Additionally, you will need to get the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) registration, and demonstrate proven clinical practice, excellent surgery, business networking, and communication skills. Personal qualities required for this role include self-confidence, conscientiousness, empathy, and thoroughness.
The average annual salary of a surgeon is AUD152,600, which proves medical professions to be among the highest-paid professions in Australia.
- Financial dealer
Usually, to become a financial dealer, you need to complete a university degree in commerce, accounting, finance, or economics. Your chances to join this field can be improved if you have a double degree combined with the relevant law field.
In some cases, a license is needed if you plan to trade or make investments. To get one, you have to meet the training requirements of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
Moreover, if you want to become a financial dealer, you need to develop your professional skills and qualities, including:
- communication and relationship-building;
- computer skills;
- ability to work independently and under pressure;
- research and analytical skills.
The average salary of a financial dealer is AUD151,000. However, they can also get a percentage of each successful deal.
Professors teach students in private or public colleges or universities. They also mediate classroom dialogue, score assignments, create lesson plans, and work with students to implement research.
Usually, professors teach within the area of their formal education. Many of them are required to have a Ph.D. or master’s degree in their field. Moreover, associate professors need to stay up to date with the topic they teach and new technologies.
Given the average annual salary of AUD143,000, this profession is an excellent opportunity to earn decent money researching the topics you are interested in and teaching students.
- Systems Architect
System architects design, build, and test internal networks for organizations. They supervise design and engineering teams and develop standard operating procedures to control project risks.
Usually, this position requires a bachelor’s degree in a related field and at least two years of experience. Skills and qualities needed include:
- organizational skills;
- leadership and team management;
- knowledge of software and systems.
The average salary of a system architect is AUD140,000, but you can expect to earn much higher remuneration, making your way up to a senior position.
- Engineering Manager
An engineering manager supervises and helps coordinate the work of the company’s technical and engineering teams.
To become an engineering manager, you need:
- at least a bachelor’s degree in engineering accredited by Engineers Australia, better Master of Engineering Management or Graduate Certificate in Engineering Management;
- completed internship and some work experience;
- membership in Engineers Australia and registration with the National Engineering Register;
- membership in the Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia.
Engineering managers can work in different technical fields, but oil, gas, and energy are the highest paid with an average annual salary of AUD132,400.
- IT ManagerIT Managers control the company’s technology resources, including networks, phone systems, software. They monitor operational requirements, research strategies, and technology solutions to develop cost-effective and efficient systems.
To become an IT Manager, you need to:
- get a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, IT project management, or a related field;
- complete an internship to put your knowledge into practice;
- gain several years of experience as an IT Project Manager before applying for the Information Technology Manager position.
The IT manager’s average annual salary is AUD125,000. But if you consider getting an MBA degree, you can expect to earn 10% more.
Psychiatrists are experts in mental health. They help people manage and recover from mental health conditions using their medical, psychological, and interpersonal skills.
To become a psychiatrist, you should:
- get a medical degree;
- undertake training in a hospital for at least one year;
- complete training in psychiatry with the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists.
The average annual salary for the psychiatrist position is AUD123,000. However, the wage of advanced psychiatrists can reach AUD165,400 per year.
A lawyer offers legal advice to clients in one or more areas of law. Some of them deal with disputes and can appear in court on behalf of their clients.
To become a lawyer, you need to:
- get a Bachelor of Law or a Juris Doctor degree;
- complete Practical Legal Training;
- gain admission from the Admissions Authority;
- get a Practising Certificate from the local law society;
- complete up to two years of supervised practice at a law firm.
Lawyers should have good analytical skills and be able to interpret laws. Moreover, they need to be detail-oriented, have excellent oral and written communication skills, and focus on problem-solving.
The average annual salary of a lawyer is AUD120,300, but it can differ depending on law areas. For instance, corporate lawyers can earn, on average, AUD130,500.
- Change ManagerChange managers coordinate and help in implementing changes to the business processes and technical systems.
A bachelor’s degree is a minimum educational qualification for the position. You will also need at least four years of experience in the relevant field. The candidates should have:
- strong project management skills;
- research and analytical skills;
- good time management;
- excellent communication skills.
The change manager’s average annual salary is AUD119,100, but it can differ depending on your location. For instance, change managers in Brisbane, Queensland, earn an average of 7.7% more.
- Analytics manager
Analytics managers duties include:
- creating effective strategies to collect data;
- analyzing information;
- conducting research;
- implementing analytics solutions for products and services;
- measuring performance, financial risks, and customer experience;
- motivating a team to complete objectives effectively.
If you plan to work as an analytical manager, you need to get a bachelor’s degree in analytics or data management. Moreover, prior experience in analytics and industry certifications are also helpful.
Being one of the highest-earning jobs in Australia, analytical managers earn, on average, AUD118,800 annually.
- Associate Dentist
A dentist is a healthcare professional who treats, repairs, and helps prevent diseases that affect teeth and gums.
To get hired as a dentist in Australia, you need to:
- earn a Bachelor of Dental Surgery or Bachelor of Dental Science;
- register with the Dental Board of Australia;
- meet the standards for re-registration every year.
Among the qualities needed to become a professional dentist is knowledge of ethical standards, interpersonal sensitivity, neat personal presentation, communication skills, and teamwork.
Dentist’s average annual salary is AUD100,000, but after 2-4 years of practice, your compensation can be around AUD121,000.
- Detective or Criminal Investigator
Usually, these professionals investigate law violations using different resources, such as witnesses, written records, video surveillance, numerical data, etc.
These specialists are required to have:
- an associate’s degree in law enforcement, criminal justice, or a related field;
- two years of experience in investigative work or law enforcement.
Detectives need to have critical thinking, problem-solving, technology, and communication skills. Since their work may include difficult and slow-moving cases and even surveillance, they should be attentive to detail and patient.
The average annual salary of a detective in Australia is AUD89,200, which is one of the world’s highest detective salaries.
- Clinical PsychologistClinical psychologists provide psychological services and support to people with varying mental health conditions. They help to deal with anxiety, depression, trauma, and drug/alcohol addictions.
To get a clinical psychologist position, you are required to:
- complete a four-year accredited psychology program and a two-year internship or two-year master’s degree;
- register with the Psychology Board of Australia under the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme;
- undertake registrar training for up to two years, supervised by the Psychology Board of Australia.
While the average psychologist’s annual salary is AUD75,036, clinical specialists can earn AUD80,865 annually.
- Veterinary assistantVeterinary assistants help veterinarians with animal care. They participate in vaccinations, draw blood for testing, assist in examinations.
Love for and comfort with different animals are some of the main requirements for the veterinary assistant role. Usually, employers require candidates to have a high school diploma. However, some professional training and courses can be a serious advantage.
Veterinary assistant’s average annual salary in Australia is AUD66,000, and it opens more lucrative positions of veterinarian and veterinary nurse, after 2-3 years of practice.
- Social Worker
As a social worker, your job is to ensure the overall well-being of communities and people. The main task is to help meet basic and complex needs, understand and cope with emotional and social problems, etc.
Given Australia’s aging population, senior care workers are among the most popular social work positions. To fully qualify for this role, you need a Certificate 3 in Individual Support and excellent communication skills.
The social worker’s average annual salary in Australia is AUD65,600.
- Fitness Manager
A fitness manager coordinates fitness club operations, including hiring trainers, scheduling fitness programs, and ensuring safety. They also deal with complaints. Thus, they should demonstrate excellent customer service.
Indeed, having a degree in physical education or health management can make your path to becoming a fitness manager easier. However, you can start as a fitness instructor or personal trainer and then make your way up to a fitness manager, using your experience and great managing and communication skills.
The average annual salary for a fitness manager position is AUD50,771.
- Real Estate AgentReal estate agents facilitate the sale and purchase of property and houses. They review property value, sale prices, and determine reasonable prices for selling and buying.
To become a real estate agent, you don’t necessarily need a degree, but you will have to take a state license exam. You also need excellent communication, negotiation, analytical skills, and good numeracy.
This position is considered one of the best for people without a degree. The average annual salary of a real estate agent is AUD48,000, but it can be higher due to successful sales.
Roofers can work in commercial and residential buildings. Usually, they repair or build roofs. Sometimes they also participate in the design process.
To be qualified, you may not need a degree, but you should undertake both an apprenticeship and vocational training to gain experience in carpentry and construction.
The average annual salary of a roofer in Australia is AUD41,000. However, as your experience grows, this amount can reach around AUD65,000-70,000 per year.
Highest Paid Jobs in Australia Without a Degree
Despite the importance of a degree, the Australian labor market still offers the opportunity to get high-paying positions even without one. Of course, you should have some level of training or experience, but not necessarily 4-5 years at university. Here are some great well-paid jobs in Australia that may not require a degree.
How to Apply for a Job in Australia
The Australian labor market can be very competitive, and you need to do everything possible to catch the recruiter’s attention with your application. Follow our guide, and you will apply for the position you like in the right way.
Read the job description carefully
Usually, job descriptions consist of 3 main parts. We advise you to review each of them carefully because the information contained there will help you customize your resume and cover letter to a specific position. Moreover, it can help you prepare for an interview.
- Introduction This part is about the company, how it works, and what its expectations are. Think if you are comfortable with this.
- Duties Here the employer tells you about your day-to-day responsibilities. Thus, you should analyze your work history and check whether you have skills and experiences transferrable to this role.
- Selection Criteria This part is dedicated to the qualities, knowledge, and skills required for the position. Think about examples and situations where you have demonstrated the qualities they are seeking.
Create a resume and cover letter
Use a resume to describe your job history, starting with the most recent position. Highlight your qualifications, qualities, and skills, and keep your duty descriptions short and relevant to the role.
When sending your resume, you should add a cover letter. This document can convince the recruiter to send you an interview invitation, even if your resume is not perfect. So you shouldn’t miss this chance. Use it as an opportunity to provoke the hiring manager’s interest in your candidacy, highlighting your qualifications and skills. Express your motivation and interest in the position and give some examples of your accomplishments. Don’t forget to format your cover letter to your unique but professional style.
After you submit your application according to the employer’s requirements, we recommend following it up. It is best to do this in a week or two if you hear nothing from the recruiter. It shows that you are eager to be invited for an interview and portrays you as a proactive, driven, and determined person.
Despite the current employment situation and the Covid-19 situation, Australia is still a country with a flourishing economy and a high GDP per capita. It offers an attractive lifestyle and excellent job opportunities.
The salaries mentioned can be a powerful motivating force to switch careers or start one in a field where you can get the highest compensation in Australia. However, it is essential to remember that high wages do not guarantee job satisfaction. Thus, you should consider all the factors before choosing one of the professions listed in this article.
You might not find a high-paying job immediately, but if you set a goal and work your way to it through gaining experience, developing skills, and deepening knowledge, you will succeed.